Wednesday 28 March 2012

Tin Top Time

Those of you that know me will be aware that, since a very young age, I have been obsessed with Formula 1. I have followed through the dark times when death was a frequent event, I have followed it through the wacky times as teams tried ever more outlandish ideas to get ahead (6 wheels, fans at the rear etc.), I have followed it even during the recent drab, processional years and into the current resurgent period.

Those that know me will also be aware that my wife cannot stand it and refers to the sport as 'wheem, wheems' as this is the sound that she hears on the TV from whichever room she has retreated to during the Grand Prix!

Well, this Sunday, I will be betraying my open wheeled mistress and attending round 1 of the British Touring Car Championship at Brands Hatch. I had sort of followed the series for a number of years, most closely in the late 80's and early 90's but had never been all that serious about the series. That changed last year when my wife (much to her chagrin) won 2 tickets to the same event in 2011. The tickets arrived on the Saturday with the main event taking place the very next day. I managed to get someone to go with me at the last minute, the weather was kind and we had a fantastic day. Three BTCC races, 2 Ginetta Juniors (kids up to 13 years of age racing in sports cars), 2 Ginetta Cup races, 1 Porsche Super Cup race, C2 Clio Cup races and a formula Renault open wheeled race. The crowd were friendly, you could leave your seat without fear of loss and, had I paid as I have done this year, all for £25 (plus fuel).

So, I shall be packing my rucksack with sandwiches and warm clothes in preparation for a reasonably cheap day out where I can get a live fix of petrol headed fun and, with the way the Touring car drivers race, plenty of paint swapping - I shall be in heaven :)

Keep loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment