Friday 27 January 2012

Life's Little Dramas Part 16


Well, the last 48 hours have had a real mixture of highs and lows! Nothing major in the low department but certainly some gritted teeth moments.

The day started with an accident on the way to work causing long delays. Not, in itself, anything to cause issues as I am usually pathologically early for everything so, even with the major delay, I was at my desk before 9am. However, whilst crawling along, I saw another accident happening on the opposite carriageway. It was the strangest sensation of appearing to be in slow motion. I have no idea what caused the van to swerve, it may have been another car braking, a mechanical fault or even oil on the road but the gentle fishtailing was obviously beyond the driver’s ability to control. This gentle sway became more pronounced until he started to spin before ending up pointing the wrong way on the soft verge at the side. What was amazing to me was that, it was a dual carriageway, at the height of the morning rush hour and he didn’t touch a thing – not the central reservation, other cars or even one of the trees lining the side of the road. He also managed to have his hazard lights on before the vehicle stopped moving – got to be impressed by that!

Oddly, despite not being involved in the incident, it gave me the shakes and I felt quite light headed when I got to work.

Next, I had a call from my wife to say that, having put up with the stinging sensation from her scar every time she got up, she had called the District Nurse to ask if it was normal. It turns out that she should have been using some sterile wipes daily on the scar to keep it clean and aid healing. This would have been good to have been told about a little sooner but, as far as we can tell, no damage has been done.

And finally for now, proof that I really need to catch up on some sleep! I have discovered a new game – Urinal Roulette. This is not quite as dodgy as it sounds!! In the toilets where I work, the wall mounted urinals have a raised plastic piece in the plug hole that has 10 notches – I am assuming that this is to stop larger objects from blocking the system – and, like all public lavatories, they are regularly filled with coloured blocks that clean and smell nice. Now, as the urinals are used, these blocks slowly reduce in size and tend to become ball shaped. At this point, my game begins. Whilst using the facilities, the balls of cleaner will start to rotate around the plug within the flow of ‘fluid’. I will then mentally place a bet on where it will finish up within the notches. And so, Urinal Roulette was born. And yes, I do need to get out more!

Keep loving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment