Friday 13 January 2012

Life's Little Dramas Part 11

Nothing major to report this time. This is more of an observation...

Considering the human body's amazing capacity to heal itself (within limits), it amazes me how it also conspires to make life as difficult as possible for itself! What I am talking about is sleep - or lack of it. As the exorcism approaches (Monday in case you had somehow forgotten :-) ), you would imagine that the self-preservation condition would kick in. The brain would acknowledge that the operation will be beneficial and relax to allow sleep or, the operation will be traumatic and, therefore, the body needs to rest to gather all its strength to be able to recover. Does it hell! The brain decides that this is a big and scary event that is approaching and so goes into overdrive. The upshot being that neither the patient nor myself got much more than a couple of hours sleep last night and that is likely to be similar or worse over the next two.

As I sit at my desk trying to remember all the things I thought of in the car on my commute that I needed to put down here, I realise that 75% of them have been forgotten. I will probably remember them in a few days time - far too late for them to be of any use and well after the time that I could have set them down here and amazed you with my wry and witty observations. Tiredness is a horrible sensation. You feel as if you are working at a different speed to the world around you, pathetic jokes seem hysterically funny (and you laugh dementedly whilst your friends / colleagues look at you in fear and sympathy), the simplest of tasks become increasingly difficult and everyday parts of your job that can be done in a matter of minutes suddenly need doing 5 minutes before you leave for home - and are usually done badly. If the brain and body are trying to tell you that they need a rest, perhaps they should realise that, if they waited until you were in your own home, you might actually be able to do something about it. I am reasonably sure that there are few employers that would be happy for you to rest your head upon your desk and take a nap at 10am! Though I may be (and frequently am) wrong.

For now, I shall have to satisfy myself with the thought that I may be able to squeeze in a little lie-in at the weekend and maybe a couple of nights sleep during our enforced separation but, I doubt it will happen. Saturday and Sunday will be taken up with re-spring cleaning the house (in case anyone visits and notices that it hasn't been done since last Sunday - they check you know) and packing the small case and make-up bag for her stay. The latter will, no doubt, be done at least three times as decisions about what to take are made, changed, changed again then changed back to the choices that were made in the first place. There will be minor tiffs over the stupidest of things and I will also have to set-up all the series recordings of the programs that must not be missed whilst she is away (but will probably never be watched - until I delete them 6 months down the line at which time they will be the only thing worth watching on TV from the 50+ channels we have at our disposal!) and searching for the dog's vaccination certificate for her stay at the kennels. I feel worn out just typing about it!

All I can concentrate on though, through all the mayhem is, the point of the whole procedure is to rid my wife of a growth that is now making her look like she is in the early stages of pregnancy. This is, without wishing to sound too dramatic, a life-saving operation. Should I be complaining? No. Should I be worried? Probably. Should I be strong? Of course I should but, am I? Not as strong as I want to be! Come Wednesday night, it will all be over and she will be home for 'hotel rest' assuming that all goes as it should. Then there will only be two things to concentrate on - First that she gets better and does not try to do too much too soon and second, the results of the biopsy which could, potentially, turn our world upside down again but could, equally, release us from this strange limbo. We will have to wait and see.

For now...Keep loving.

4 comments:

  1. if you need company while she is in hospital you know where we are. keep loving baby. Always here. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun. Will probably be going straight from work to the hospital but thanks so much for the offer. Seems that she won't be in that long either which is a bonus. Love to J and TJ.

      Delete
  2. It will be what it will be. No point in trying to out guess what The Universe has planned for you both.....just trust that whatever it turns out to be ......you are both 'up to the Challenge'. Something I have found useful of late is to just Breath, Centre self and say "I can do this - I am up to this challenge - I am strong"......and then I just get on with it. I do believe that we are challenged only with what we can deal with, and I also trust that My family and I are always protected and looked after......whatever is going on. It hasn't let me down yet.
    If you fancy a trip to Bedford for a bit of restbite for you - you know where we are. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. I am always up for trying things liek this. All systems are now go so here' hoping!

      Delete