Monday 2 April 2012

Out of Season Rudolph

Sunday was my birthday treat at Brands Hatch to watch the British Touring Cars. I awoke early (something I rarely do on a Sunday) and my wife packed me some sandwiches while I packed some extra clothes - the forecast was for a maximum 10 degrees C. Off I drove looking forward to a day of petrol headed bliss.
I arrived, as I do for everything in my life, early and managed to get myself an excellent vantage point. I unpacked all my kit and smugly layered up as the temperature was around freezing point at 8am yesterday. I had three layers under my coat, 2 pairs of socks, woolly hat and gloves. I looked more like I was getting ready for a protest demo rather than to be entertained.

The racing started around 10am and did not disappoint all day. However, at about 12 midday, the temperature was rising quite rapidly (unless a cloud passed overhead at which point it dropped even more rapidly) and layers were starting to come off. I finished the afternoon with sleeves rolled up and sunglasses surgically attached to my head.

As I sat in my car during the one and a half hours it took to get out of the car park, I started to feel the gentle tingle that suggested I had 'caught the sun'. With very little to do whilst sitting in the queue, I risked a glance in the mirror. At 7.30pm last night, my nose was already glowing so I knew I was in for a scarlet appendage this morning and, true to form, my face feels like I am in front of a hot oven and the thick layer of cream I applied this morning was sucked up by my grateful skin within seconds.

What makes it better is that I have now brightened up the Monday of most of the office I work in. There are very few that have managed to walk by my desk without at least a wry grin and, at worst, a belly laugh :) I always wanted to make people laugh but, in my youth, I thought it might have been from my witty repartee - not a sun burnt nose. It only took 30 minutes for the first email addressed to Rudolph to land in my inbox - laugh? Well actually I did as I think I look pretty stupid too! If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at??

Keep loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment